- Fifteen years of I.T. experience
- Freelance developer since 1999
- Developing for the web since 1996
- Delivers best-of-breed solutions
- Detail-oriented and thorough
- Always looking to learn and grow
- Tools: Visual Studio, Tortoise SVN, Reflector, Aptana Studio, Acrobat, InDesign
- Database: SQL Server, SSIS, T-SQL, MySQL, Access, Crystal Reports, Data Mining
- Web: SharePoint, SharePoint Designer, Search Server, Joomla!, Mambo
Technical Work Experience
Contract Software Developer, Maverick Direct, 2010 – Present
- Took over stalled development project for a legacy sales application written in Visual Basic 6.0. Moved project to completion on time and currently developing next version.
Freelance Software Developer, Full-time 1999 – 2001, Part-time 2001 – Present
- Provide software and web development for local clients.
- Developed stationery system for Microsoft Word used by The Timken Company:
- Includes personalization and content wizards for letters, memos and faxes.
- Supplies custom stationery templates for over 60 business units around the world, including spot translations into Japanese, Chinese, Polish and other languages.
- Originally written in WordBasic and upgraded to Visual Basic 6.0 in 2001, it includes over 70,000 lines of code and has had three major releases in the past nine years.
- Provides a public object model with over 60 classes and interfaces in the hierarchy.
- Created electronic business card system in
Microsoft Outlook for The Timken Company:
- Allows associates to send e-mails with personalized business card signatures.
- Includes over 60 HTML-based business card templates.
- Written in Visual Basic 6.0 with a separate object model and add-in for Outlook.
- Developed automated document builder for SummaCare provider directories:
- Processes raw provider data using complex sorting and filtering algorithms.
- Outputs PageMaker or Word formats ready for final editing and printing.
- The most recent processing load included over 160,000 records in 50MB of data.
- Written in Visual Basic 6.0, it has gone through 10 major revisions.
Business Systems Developer, National Association of College Stores, Akron, 2009 - 2010
- Developed a bulk data processor and automated document builder in VB.NET 2005:
- Pulls multiple sets of data from SQL Server in an organized hierarchy.
- Outputs in Adobe InDesign, Word and HTML with easy expansion for other formats.
- Automates creation of the 800 page Directory of Colleges and College Stores.
- Saved $26,000 per year over a formerly outsourced system.
- Member of development team for Aptify 4.5 Association Management System:
- Performed data extraction, data mining and data validation on SQL Server 2005.
- Created custom SQL queries, reports and SSIS packages.
- Established and documented best practices for SQL queries and data consistency.
Webmaster, Community Legal Aid Services, Akron, 2008 – 2009
- Created and administered intranet with Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0:
- Tailored site branding with custom themes and master pages.
- Used the SharePoint front-end and SPD to create customized team sites and lists.
- Edited XSLT transforms to create custom list views.
- Installed and configured MS Search Server for SharePoint site and network shares.
- Webmaster for Joomla!-based public website:
- Upgraded website from Mambo to Joomla! 1.5 content management system.
- Created custom Joomla! template using HTML, CSS and PHP.
- Heavily customized PHP code for JEvents calendaring module.
- Fully documented content management procedures for non-IT staff.
- Created and maintained Facebook page aimed at young lawyers and law students.
- As a member of the Ohio Legal Assistance Foundation Technology Advisory Group, provided guidance on tech issues for the Legal Aid organizations in Ohio and the U.S.
Network Engineer, PC Rescue Squad, North Canton, 2001
- Provided general computer consulting services for small to medium size businesses.
- Administered peer-to-peer, Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Novell NetWare based networks.
- Supported Windows 95/98/ME and NT/2000/XP client machines with various software packages including Microsoft Office, Corel Office, Norton AntiVirus, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and Act! 2000.
- Installed, configured and documented complete server systems using custom built servers, Windows NT and Windows 2000 Server software, Exchange Server and Norton AntiVirus.
- Managed complete installation of shared Internet connections using dial-up, cable, DSL and ISDN routers, from initial contact with service provider to final configuration and security of clients and servers.
- Performed troubleshooting, repair and replacement of hardware on client and server machines.
- Maintained company web site and intranet.
Network Engineer, BCG Systems, Akron, 1998 – 1999
- Provided general computer consulting services for small to medium size businesses.
- Analyzed existing network infrastructure, hardware and software and provided recommendations for upgrades or replacements based on the client’s current and future needs.
- Installed, configured and documented complete server systems using Compaq servers, Windows NT Server software, such as Exchange Server and Proxy Server, as well as various anti-virus and backup packages.
- Performed year 2000 auditing of hardware and software with analysis and recommendations for readiness.
- Troubleshot and repaired hardware and software problems on both client and server machines.
- Developed applications using Visual Basic for Applications within Microsoft Office.
Technical Trainer, Skillcenter, Hudson, 1997 – 1998
- Taught advanced technology classes for MCSE trainees in Windows NT Server administration, Windows 95 support, TCP/IP implementation and general networking technology.
- Maintained multiple operating system configurations for classroom using scripting and imaging software.
- Administered a small office network with Windows NT Server 4.0, Exchange Server 5.0, Internet Information Server 2.0 and Windows NT Workstation 4.0 clients in a TCP/IP environment.
- Researched and recommended hardware and software products for implementation on the office network.
- Migrated office computers from Windows 95 to Windows NT Workstation using fully automated scripting of operating system and application setup.
- Implemented Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0 for office Internet access through a single dial-up line.
- Implemented FAXmaker for Exchange 5.0 to provide desktop faxing capabilities.
Steel Business Systems Helpdesk – March 1996 to March 1997
- Provided first and second level help desk support for a large geographically disperse business unit.
- Supported multiple PC platforms including MS-DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95 and Windows NT.
- Provided expert level support for all versions of Microsoft Office and other PC based applications software.
- Provided client-end support and account management for Windows NT and DEC PathWorks networking.
- Provided first level support, troubleshooting and account management for CMS, CICS and VAX systems.
- Assisted associates and repair vendors with identifying and troubleshooting hardware related problems.
- Designed and maintained a small-scale intranet web site for the Steel Business Unit.
- Developed a customer-oriented attitude and strong interpersonal skills as a member of the help desk team.
HR&L/Finance Systems EUC Support – October 1995 to March 1997
- Provided assistance and consultation to main help desk staff with second and third level PC support issues.
- Consulted with managers and professionals regarding development of specialized systems projects.
- Performed installations and provided support for Novell NetWare client and mainframe connectivity software.
- Established corporate wide standard procedures and provided expert level support for Dial-Up Networking and remote access software under Windows 95, Windows 3.1 and MS-DOS.
- Performed conversions of client PCs from Novell NetWare 3.12 to NetWare 4.1.
- Assisted in the development of corporate intranet web sites and selection of end user web development tools.
Marketing Communications – March 1995 to March 1997
- Developed and supported an electronic stationery management system, including localized software and support documentation for over 40 different countries, subsidiaries and divisions within the company.
- Assisted in administering the company’s Corporate Identity System.
Non-Technical Work Experience
Administrative Assistant, Community Legal Aid Services, Akron, 2006-2008
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, provide administrative support to the Executive Director and Associate Director.
Office Support Specialist, Mental Health and Recovery Services Board of Stark County, Canton, 2006
- Provided office support to the Mental Health Consumer Advocate and Office of Consumer Advocacy.
Office Ministry Assistant, Jackson Friends Church, Massillon, 2001 – 2006
- Provided administrative support to multiple church departments.
Kitchen Coordinator, Church of the Lakes, Canton, 2002 – 2006
- Coordinated preparation, serving and cleanup for Wednesday night dinners.
Nursery Attendant, The Chapel, Akron, 2008 – Present
Singles Group Leadership, The Chapel, Akron, 2006 – 2008
Bible Study Leader, Heartland Behavioral Healthcare, Massillon, 2004 – 2007
Alive Festival Volunteer Coordinator, The Java House at Jackson Friends Church Summer, 2003, 2004
Singles Group Coordinator, Jackson Friends Church, Massillon, 2001 – 2002
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
Microsoft Certified Professional ID: 363192 – Certification achieved August 21, 1997
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 in the Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0
- Networking Essentials
- Microsoft TCP/IP on Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
- Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0
Microsoft Certified Product Specialist
Certification achieved November 6, 1996
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Microsoft Word for Windows 95
Certified NetWare Administrator
Certification ID: 9568270 – Certification achieved October 8, 1997
A+ Certified Service Technician – Windows and DOS Specialty
Certification achieved October 8, 1997